It was November.
I was cold.
I had this vision of a creamy potato soup filled with veggies and goodness that was going to warm me up and leave me feeling full and content, probably ready to curl up on the couch for the remainder of the evening and possibly the rest of winter. You know the type.
I knew I wanted it to be creamy, semi-healthy, and oh so comforting. So I started gathering ingredients together that made sense and just went for it. And well, that’s how we got this soup right here.
I was honestly so excited with how it turned out that I have continued to make it all winter, adjusting things as needed, but overall keeping the same idea. Now it’s become one of our winter staples. I hope you love it as much as I do!
- Dutch oven or large pot
- Olive oil
- 1 medium onion
- 1 red bell pepper
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- 3 medium yellow potatoes
- 3-4 cups vegetable broth
- 6-7 kale leaves (I love dinosaur kale for this) or 1 cup overflowing chopped
- 1 tbsp cornstarch (to help thicken)
- 3/4-1 cup frozen corn
- 1 can coconut milk
- Few sprigs of thyme
- Fresh parsley
- Salt + pepper to taste
- Roughly chop onion and pepper.
- Add oil to pot and turn onto medium heat.
- Sauté onion and pepper in oil for about 5 minutes or until soft.
- Meanwhile, finely chop the garlic and chop the potatoes into bite sized chinks.
- Add garlic and cook until fragrant. Then, add the potatoes and cook for a minute or so. Sprinkle everything with a good amount of salt and pepper.
- Add veggie broth and bring to a simmer. Cook potatoes for around 7-10 minutes or until you can easily stick them with a fork. Be careful not to let them get overcooked and mushy.
- While potatoes cook, chop and add the kale.
- Then, add the tbsp of cornstarch into a bowl along with a small ladle of warm broth. Stir until smooth and then add to simmering soup.
- Once potatoes are cooked, reduce to low heat and add corn, thyme, and coconut milk. Cook for another few minutes.
- Taste and add salt and pepper as needed. Top with lots of freshly chopped parsley and serve with crispy bread.